Saturday, July 15, 2006

New Holland The Poet Stout



New Holland The Poet Stout
New Holland Brewing Company
Holland, MI

You know a brew is special to me when I pour it into my vintage 8 oz glass with the raised painted owls on it(I didn't have a camera then. I do now!). And it certainly is! This is the darkest chocolate coffee stout that I've had yet. Throw in some rolled oats and you've got a new favorite fourth meal! It's a double-barrelled swarzbier, a stout that I can imagine three guys man-handling the Keebler elf and his latest bacth of chocolate chip cookies into the wort mixer and stirring until the foam rises to the top leaving a creamsicle circle about the rim of the vat.

Poet-wise, being that is its namesake, it is Etheridge Knight: black, brunt and over-the-top sans the profanity and emotional irascibility. It's not quite as severe as joining the black panthers but there is a portent to extreme things waiting inside this bottle. Just don't drink it at the local coffee house or you might be pre-disposed to wrangle with some old man-haired poetess who reaches the divine muse via Granny Clampett and the fat man sitting in the corner perspiring poetry with a cheshire grin on his face always exclaiming with contained joy, "Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Yes. Mmmmm."


Wörtwurst

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fucking delish. Loved it.

Wörtwurst said...

You bet I am!

Oh, you mean the beer? Yeah, tastes like mud people.