Monday, November 06, 2006

Stone Smoked Porter












click bottle for larger view


Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Brewing Co.
Escondido, CA

Where there's smoke there's fire and where there's a fire there's drunk college guys getting college girls very drunk for the taking on a damned dirty mattress in the woods. Otherwise smoke signifies outdoor grilling or something catastrophic. What's catastrophic to me is the pairing of food. Food gets in the way of the taste for me. I prefer to eat between beers or to snack lightly if I feel like I'm getting drunk. Then again I'm tipsy after two beers no matter what preparations I take. Alright, I'll save you the drunken preamble...this is a fine porter. All the prerequisite traits of porter but so smooth that you can gulp it down like an amber beer on a hot sunny day. It ranks among the top porters, if not the best, but the cost is a little prohibitive. If I had to choose to buy this over Bell's, King or Anchor I'd definitely go with a sixer of any of those for a few dollars more than this 22 OZer.

-Wörtwurst

4 comments:

socialretard said...

How much are they charging for a 22 of the Smoked Porter in your neck of the woods? I got one a couple weeks ago at the natural food store across the street from me and it was $4.99. A little pricey, but if I could get a six of good beer for that price, I'd be a happy man.

Have you seen that the Stone 2006 Double Bastard is out? Gotta try one of those.

Wörtwurst said...

I believe it was on sale for probably $3.99 or $4.99, most likely the latter seeing as I prefer to spend for mixed sixes($7.99) over bombers that cost half as much for 1/3 the beer. But I've heard about it and thought I should try it at some point.

You probably don't get Bell's Porter or King's Pontiac Porter but I bet you get BlackWatch by MacTarnahan's which is generally reasonably priced as well.

I think I sampled the Double Bastard at some store. The lady gave everyone in the beer section a plastic cup from under a table! Strong shite. My buddy liked it. But I proceeded with buying my stouts and porters as per usual.

socialretard said...

I prefer the stouts and porters myself. Realizing it more and more lately. Everyone here in the Pacific NW is so hop crazy. It's all about who can make the hoppiest IPA.

Just had the Rogue Mocha Porter last night. Pretty, pretty good.

Wörtwurst said...

I just bought Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Listed at $4.39 but the dude must have charged me $5.99. Oh well. I'll break something the next time I go in there. PLus he's ordering more Hitachino Nest Beer. Try that stuff if you come across it. Very different.

I think everyone is hop crazy. This must go hand in hand with the face, genital, and body piercing fad. The more uncomfortable a thing is the more people flock to it and do it until they like it. I'm sticking with my unsophisticated and sissy dark beer.